May Gardening Calendar
Wondering What You Should Be Doing In Your Garden?
Below is a calendar of key things you can be doing in your garden during the month of May.
Approximate Timing & May Gardening Activities:
- Want to grow a rich summer Bermuda grass lawn? De-thatch your grass and fertilize it with Green Maker. Or, if you're looking to reduce/replace your lawn, we've got some great groundcover recommendations that grow well in the Valley.
- Star Jasmine is blooming now! This hardy vine will climb your trellis and more—all on its own!
- It's almost Mother's Day! We've got hanging baskets, cache pots, and more gift ideas for Mom...
- Summer flowers are here! Vinca, potato vine, pentas and more are in-store now...
- Adjust irrigation systems in preparation for summer watering needs.
- It's time to mulch! Save water and help keep your plants' roots cool.
- Is summer hard on your new plants? Use our Root & Grow or Plant Starter to help them grow a solid foundation. Plus, download our New Plant Watering Guide to ensure your new plants receive enough water to establish a strong root system.
- Have Pests? Watch for worms and beetles. We have natural insecticides available.
Click the button below to download a PDF version of this calendar, for easy printing or larger viewing...
May Planting Calendar
Plant the following edibles from 5/1 - 5/31:
- Seeds: Basil, yardlong beans, blackeyed peas, Armenian cucumbers, cantaloupe melons, okra, and sunflower
- Transplants: Jerusalem artichokes, basil, and sweet potatoes
To get the most out of your garden harvest, visit your local SummerWinds Nursery and let our Trusted Garden Advisors help you select the best vegetables and the right time to plant. For additional tips, download the Maricopa County Garden Planting Calendar for Annual Fruits and Vegetables.
Want More? Register for one of our FREE Learn ‘n Grow classes online!
Contact your local SummerWinds Nursery to learn more.