Fertilizers play an important role in the health and growth of your plants. At SummerWinds Nursery, we have a wide variety of fertilizers to choose from, including organic and nitrogen fertilizers. The experts at SummerWinds Nursery can help you navigate all of your choices so you can grow the healthiest, tastiest and most beautiful plants.
- Timing – How Often:
- Vegetables – Fertilize vegetables monthly
- Fruit & Shade Trees – Fertilize 3 times per year; in February, May and September.
- Shrubs – Every 2 months
- Perennials – Monthly
- Annuals – Monthly
- Natives – We recommend fertilizing natives with fish or seaweed in February, May and September—only if nutrient deficiencies occur.
- Types of Fertilizers: SummerWinds Nursery carries a number of types of fertilizers, including: organic fertilizer,liquid, water soluble and granular fertilizer.
- NPK Labelling of Fertilizers: The numbers on the bag associated with each letter are the percentages of that element. For example, 16-4-8 is 16% nitrogen, 4% phosphorus,and 8% potassium.
- Nitrogen (N) – helps with leaf development and makes your lawn green.
- Phosphorous (P) – aids in root development.
- Potassium (K) – Vital for disease resistance and root development.
- E.B. Stone Fertilizers – SummerWinds Nursery carries a wide variety of fertilizers, including those from E.B. Stone Organics. Some of our favorites are:
- All Purpose Plant Food – E.B. Stone Organics All Purpose Plant Food 5-5-5 is an organic fertilizer ideal for vegetables, trees, shrubs, lawns and flower gardens. Registered cdfa.
- Azalea, Camellia & Gardenia Food – E.B. Stone Organics Azalea, Camellia & Gardenia Food 5-5-3 is ideal for use with azalea, camellia and gardenias, as well as other acid-loving plants such as, rhododendrons, fuchsia and evergreen conifers. Registered cdfa.
- Bulb Food – E.B. Stone Organics Bulb Food 4-6-4 is a premium blended fertilizer developed to provide vital nutrients for abundant growth and flowers throughout the bloom period, and for developing a strong root system and vigorous bulbs. Registered cdfa.
- Citrus & Fruit Tree Food – E.B. Stone Organics Citrus & Fruit Tree Food 7-3-3 is ideal for use with citrus trees, fruit trees and other fruit producing plants such as berries. Also good for shade trees, flowering trees and vines. Registered cdfa. Pair with E.B. Stone Naturals Soil Sulfur.
- Hibiscus & Palm Food – E.B. Stone Organics Hibiscus & Palm Food 6-5-3 is ideal for palms, hibiscus and other tropical plants. Registered cdfa.
- Rose & Flower Food – E.B. Stone Organics Rose & Flower Food 5-6-3 is suggested for roses, perennials and other flowering plants. Long lasting, slow release nitrogen. Registered cdfa. Use with E.B. Stone Organics Rose Grow Planting Mix.
- Sure Start – E.B. Stone Organics Sure Start 4-6-2 is ideal for newly transplanted plants. It encourages the development of strong roots. Registered cdfa.
- Tomato & Vegetable Food – E.B. Stone Organics Tomato & Vegetable Food 4-5-3 can be used throughout your vegetable garden, in addition to being used with soft fruits (such as strawberries) to produce high-quality fruits and vegetables. Registered cdfa.
- Ultra-Bloom Plant Food – E.B. Stone Organics Ultra Bloom Plant Food 0-10-10 is good for all plants, particularly Azaleas, Camellias and Rhododendrons. Add to flowering plants when buds begin to form. In addition to encouraging the development of flowers and fruit, this fertilizer also helps plants resist disease. Registered cdfa.
- Grow More Hawaiian Bud & Bloom – This 5-50-17 instant water soluable, urea-free concentrate is made with chelated micronutrients. Specially formulated for all flowerings, fruiting and colored foliage plants, including: Anthuriums, Bird of Paradise, Bougainvilleas, Flowering Vines, Lilikoi, Ginger, Hydrangeas, Mums, Plumeria, Tomatoes, Impatiens, Annual, Perennials and Bulbs. Highly recommended as a starter and transplant solution.
- Fertilizers for Cactus & Succulents:
- Cactus Juice – This 1-7-6 fertilizer from Grow More provides calcium and other nutrients to cacti and succulents.
- Succulent Plant Food – This 0.5-1-1 fertilizer from Miracle-Gro® instantly feeds succulents and cacti. Specially formulated for use with all cacti, jade, aloe, and other popular succulents.
- Fertilizers for Lawns:
- Green Maker – This 18-0-6 premium lawn food from Ferti-lome is especially formulated for alkaline soils. 10% sulfur helps correct excessive alkalinity, while 5% iron makes lawns green.
- Nature's Green Lawn Food – by E.B. Stone Organics. This 10-1-4 blend of natural and organic granulated fertilizers works on all types of lawns to thicken and green lawns.
- New Lawn Starter Fertilizer – This 9-13-7 fertilizer from Ferti-lome is designed to help grass seed and sod develop roots and mature stems before rapid growth begins. Helps sod to establish. Can be applied with grass seed or immediately after seed is sown.
Watch our "How to Prep Your Soil" Video
The quality of your soil is essential to a successful garden. Watch our How to Prep Your Soil video to learn how to prepare your soil for planting vegetables or flower beds.
Soils, Amendments & Organic Controls
In addition to fertilizers, SummerWinds Nursery offers a wide variety of potting soils, amendments, natural and organic garden care, and organic pest and weed controls—all for exceptional plant growth and development.
At SummerWinds Nursery, our Trusted Garden Advisors are available to answer all of your questions about how to create the ideal growing conditions for your plants. Visit your local SummerWinds Nursery today.