Tasty Garden - Vegetable Varieties
Now is the perfect time to start your Tasty Garden and our nursery is exploding with edibles. Choose from traditional and organic herbs, fruits and vegetables.
Here are few helpful tips based on great questions from our customers about growing tomatoes...
- Knowing the difference between Determinate and Indeterminate is helpful when choosing the right tomatoes
- Determinate Tomatoes - These are bush types that grow 2-3 feet tall.
- Indeterminate Tomatoes - These are vining types that can reach 8-10’ tall and will need caging or staking for support.
- Another way to look at it is - determinate varieties do best in containers while indeterminate varieties would like to be caged or supported within the ground/bed/or large container.
- Plant a tomato that is most ideal for how you like to enjoy them! There are slicers, paste tomatoes, cherries, grapes.
- Fertilize often for maximum fruit production! We recommend: E.B. Stone Organics Tomato & Vegetable Food
- In containers use a high quality potting soil in at least a 5 gallon container.
- When gardening in smaller spaces like a patio or balcony, there are tomato varieties that are perfect for that like the husky cherry.
- Planting your tomato plant low in the soil to begin with is actually beneficial. The little hairs on the plant will take root and make that plant even stronger
- We offer some great starter fertilizers but you can also add crushed eggshells to the soil and hole before planting
- Make sure to get your tomato cages, your tomatoes will become unrulely quickly and our cages go fast