Houseplants for Bright Light
Houseplants varieties that love bright direct light
Plants that prefer bright Light – usually means a sunny, southern or western facing window that receives direct light. They require a minimum of five to six hours of sunlight every day. During the winter months, this can be a challenge which often leads one to moving a plant closer to the sunny window. However, with the sun often comes a cold draft from the window which the plant cannot tolerate.
- Croton Plant – Codiaeum variegatum var. pictum:This brightly colored plant requires attentive care. As the plant matures, the leaves change color and become brighter.
- Fiddle Leaf Fig – Ficus lyrata:Like many ficus, sometimes, you have to move the plant until the plant performs as if content. This plant needs consistent bright light, by a sunny window if possible. Once you notice it starting to lean towards the light, turn it every month or so.
- Norfolk Island Pine – Araucaria heterophylla: A needled evergreen native to subtropical regions in the South Pacific. However, despite the name, it is not an actual pine tree, and in its native environment (Norfolk Island, near New Zealand), can grow up to 200 feet tall. Norfolk Island Pine's prefer bright light, are almost drought tolerant plants but like it warm with humidity.
- Peruvian Cactus – Cereus peruvianus:As long as you have bright light and good draining cactus soil, your Peruvian Cactus should be content.The only challenge you may have is space as it can grow very tall and you will want to continue to turn the cactus as it grows and has a tendency to lean towards the light.
- Rubber Plant – Ficus elastica:This is a great houseplant for a beginner because althought they prefer bright light, they are adaptable to filtered or low light. Rubber Plants like to stay warm around 60˚ to 65˚ at night and 75˚ to 80˚ F during the day. Avoid temps lower than 55˚ F and cold drafts.
- Yucca Cane – Yucca:This slow growing houseplant is drought tolerant, making it a wonderfully low maintenance plant.
For information on how to Care For Your Houseplants, Learn More
Check out our blog: How To Re-Pot An Indoor Plant - Read Blog
At SummerWinds Nursery, we carry the widest variety of the best house plants. We have a houseplant to match any environment. Stop in today and let one of our Trusted Garden Advisors help you find the best houseplants for your home or office!