Wild Native Bees!
Posted on: Friday, June 24, 2016
Did you know, there are 20,000 species of bees—in addition to the honey bee?
An article by Kristin Ohlson in the Modern Farmer, titled "The Other Bees," shares some great observations about bees and recommendations to attract wild native bees. Here are some highlights from the article:
- More than 85 percent of the world's plants either require or benefit from animal-mediated pollination
- There are 4,000 bees native to North America—including 50 native bumblebees...
- Our wild native bees are mostly small, solitary and gentle
- Studies suggest they're twice as effective at pollination than honeybees
- Wild bees need a flowery source of food in the spring, summer and fall
- Planting wildflowers attracts wild native bees—and also saves butterflies