Back to the Be Inspired Blog
Plants and Love: Unique Valentine's Day Gifts
Posted on: Saturday, February 4, 2023
Can you believe Valentine’s Day is near? Weren’t we just celebrating New Year’s Eve?
The classic Valentine’s Day gifts are usually a giant teddy bear, some chocolates and a bouquet of roses. While we’ll never turn down a dozen roses, did you know that there are other flowers that represent love? Bonus: these won’t wither away after one week.
Keep reading for a list of beautiful flowers, both outdoor and indoor that attract and symbolize love, joy and prosperity. Please note - Varieties may vary by location
Your local SummerWinds offers a variety of nature-inspired potted houseplants that make a great grab-and-go gift for your Valentine, or accent to any home or office décor! Explore designs from a variety of collections brought to you by LiveTrends.
Incredible Color with Bromeliads
These beautiful tropical looking houseplants will add a spark as your Valentine Gift
Give the Gift of Love Through Plants
Are you thinking of giving a gift this Valentine’s Day that’s not a bouquet? Try out these classic indoor plants that have positive meanings.
Here are a few from Gala Darling:
1. Bamboo - If you give a bamboo plant, you are bringing a plant that attracts joy and wealth. It also grants protection from hexes and can aid in spiritual growth, health and creativity.
2. Basil - Basil isn’t only delicious in meals, it also brings love, passion, wealth and luck into the home. It is said that when eaten, basil awakens passion in anyone who eats it. It is also known as an antidepressant, antiseptic and antibacterial.
3. Honeysuckle - This is an interesting plant that offers protection and money when brought into the home. Some people believe that if you crush a honeysuckle and place it on your forehead, it can boost psychic powers. Along that same line, it is thought that the smell of honeysuckle sharpens your intuition too.
4. Lavender - If you want to give the gift of calming properties and mood-elevation, then the lavender plant is right for you. Some people even place a small drop of lavender oil on their pillows to help them fall asleep; that sounds nice, too.
5. Miniature Roses - While it would be a little out there to grow a full-size rose bush in your home, miniature roses would be an elegant and romantic plant to have indoors as roses are said to have the highest vibration of all living things. Keep reading below for tips on choosing and growing the right rose color as they have drastically different meanings.
6. Orchids - Orchids are one of the easiest houseplants to take care of and they attract love, repair the soul and even deepened friendships. In Ancient Greece, these were associated with fertility and virility.
7. Rosemary - Another houseplant and herb you can eat, rosemary is said to provide a good night’s sleep and keep you youthful. This herb is also believed to attract love, lust, protection and purification.
8. Sage - Along with being used in the kitchen, sage is known for its protection and representation of immortality, longevity and wisdom.
One Green Planet also offers a few great options for plants that represent love and prosperity, making them...
The Perfect Valentine’s Day Gifts
1. The Malabar Chestnut or The Feng Shui Money Tree - These trees are popular in feng shui practices. They are known for securing luck and prosperity for those who own them. When grown under the right humid conditions, this tree will both flower and produce edible nuts; delicious. It is easily grown indoors as it needs low-light and requires watering every 7-10 days.
2. Spathiphyllum or The Peace Lily - As noted by the One Green Planet, “This deep green plant with gorgeous bright white blooms helps humans prosper by significantly improving their indoor air quality, helping to prevent asthma, headaches, chronic illness, cancers and more. The Peace Lily does all that simply by being there in your home. It can detox your air of the following toxins: formaldehyde, benzene and carbon monoxide. It cleanses the air of cigarette smoke, paint and furniture fumes and more.”
To successfully grow this indoors, it is best to keep it in a dark environment that doesn’t get much light.
Building a Love Bouquet
Are you looking to build the perfect bouquet of flowers for the one you love? Here are some of the most romantic flowers to include from Pollen Nation:
- Yellow Acacia - This gorgeous yellow flower signifies true friendship and can also mean a secret love.
- Yellow Daffodil - Another great yellow addition to your mix, this flower represents new beginnings and is referred to as a lucky symbol of future success. For future bouquets, this is an ideal flower to give if you want to wish someone good luck.
- Gillyflower - A fantastic choice if you want a flower that is heavily scented, the Gillyflower means a happy life that has lasting beauty.
- Blue Violet - This flower will greatly compliment the tones of the Yellow Acacia and Yellow Daffodil. The Blue Violet represents trustworthiness, faith, affection, intuition and love.
- Blue Salvia - The Blue Salvia flower signifies wisdom, a long life and good health. You can also use it as a gift to someone who is recovering from an ailment.
- White Lilac - This flower is considered to be quite elegant with its enjoyable fragrance. The white color of the flower represents purity and a youthful innocence.
- Jasmine - Jasmine is a romantic flower that is subtly perfumed and has many meanings; it symbolizes modesty, love, sensuality, elegance, nobility and grace.
- Gardenia - While these flowers are typically given to those experiencing a secret love, these beautifully white flowers are perfect Valentine’s Day presents.
- Forget-Me-Not - You won’t be forgotten if you add these gorgeous blue flowers to your Valentine’s Day bouquet. This flower represents true love and remembrance. It is also believed that this plant is filled with love and memories.
- White Dittany - This white flower symbolizes both love and passion. It is a great gift to show someone you love and care about them.
- Sweet Alyssum - This is a beautiful bloom that represents a serene, spiritual energy that is believed to provide a balance of emotion wherever they are. The flower also has a nice scent that is the perfect romantic gift or present for a pick-me-up.
- White Clover - The White Clover is a popular flower given to those who need some good luck, but it is also a perfect gift to give the feeling of vitality.
- Cherry Blossom - This is a popular flower that has deep cultural roots in both China and Japan. It signifies femininity in in China and the nature of life in Japan.
- Azalea - Often gifted to a loved one, these visually beloved flowers represent femininity. Add them to your bouquet for a romantic element.
- Angelica - With these flowers spilling out of a bouquet, they are believed to encourage feelings of creativeness. They also encourage restfulness and can be used as a stress reliever for those who lead busy lives.
You may think that giving a rose of any color is simply giving a rose to someone you love, but depending on the color, a rose can have an entirely new meaning. Here’s a list of colored roses and their meanings as outlined by Good Housekeeping.
- Red Roses - This is the classic choice to give to someone you love on Valentine’s Day or any other special occasion, and luckily always means love.
- Light Pink Roses - When you send these flowers, you are sending the gift of grace.
- Peach Roses - These lightly colored roses mean modesty.
- Orange Roses - The beautiful and unique rose color matches their meaning, which is fascination.
- Salmon Roses - If you want to send a message to the person you love with this color rose, the message will be desire and excitement.
- Yellow Roses - Be careful if you think you want to send a yellow rose to someone; these ones imply infidelity.
- White Roses - These roses have a somber meaning behind them as they often mean, “A heart unacquainted with love.”
- Cream Roses - You’ll be safe with these roses, unlike the white ones. The cream and ivory colors indicate charm and thoughtfulness.
- Purple Roses - These mesmerizing roses represent enchantment.
- Dark Pink Roses - This deep hue represents gratitude and appreciation; they’re perfect to share with someone you love.
- Burgundy Rose - Like its color, this unlikely rose symbolizes an unconscious beauty.
- Green Rose - This may be an unlikely choice, but it is a beautiful color to give someone. If the stem and the petals take on the green tone, this means constant rejuvenation of the spirit.
Giving Plants and Love
If you want to do something extra special this Valentine’s Day, indoor and outdoor plants, flowers for bouquets and beautifully colored roses are the way to go. If you need help choosing a plant or flowers for your loved one, stop by your local SummerWinds Nursery and our expert staff is happy to assist you. (Not all varieties mentioned are available at all stores).
Happy early Valentine’s Day!